Saturday, February 26, 2011

Chilenismos

Ok, so it has been a week since I started this adventure and I have noticed some pretty defining things about the Chileans around me.
First and foremost, they speak like it is a race about who can talk the fastest. If one person starts slow, the other responds a little faster, then a little faster, until I'm sure that they aren't even producing words anymore. I'm going to have to work on that one.
Also with their language, they use some interesting phrases and words. When my host mom picked me up, we drove with one of her friends to the house. They were talking about something serious and near the end, the other lady said 'Es heavy' and my mom responded 'super heavy...' haha it made me think of Back to the Future. They also keep adding in this sound at the end of their sentences that doesn't have any meaning at all, I guess it is just fun to say. It is 'po', and it never exists in solitude. 'Sipo', 'nopo', 'cafepo'. It isn't that it is hard to understand, just like extra fluff to the sentence. And of course, the famous Chilean word is 'Cachai!?'. It is used like candy in casual conversation! I guess it is best related to 'Get it?' or 'Ya know?'.

I'm sure there are some more language things that these people do, and I will keep you updated on them as my times goes on, but there is more about this culture other than just their language...

The early 90's are alive and well in Chile!
Mullets are the hairstyle for the young men to have.
A Fanny Pack is a staple of any good outfit.
Worn-out neon shirts are everywhere.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm off to the hairstylist and the store to make sure I fit in around here... ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Too funny!! Be sure and bring home the items you purchase so that this years' halloween costume will be authentic. 'Ya know?'

    Love Love

    ReplyDelete