Thursday, February 24, 2011

2 days in Santiago

Hello everyone!
So after Nacho and Adson showed me around the city on Sunday, I felt like I had a good grasp on how to get around myself. They both had to work during the week so I had two whole days in Santiago sólo.
On Monday I decided to check out some things around the Bellas Artes area. It is such a pretty area and very eclectic. :) I walked around, getting oriented and found that Chilenos are typically very nice and quite helpful.
Tuesday was a much more interesting day...
I decided to visit some museums that were across town from where I was. I had it all figured out on how I would get to the metro, where I would take it to, and which way I would go after I departed. Flawless plan. However after I got off of the metro, and walked north like I had planned, I stumbled onto some obvious landmarks that SHOULD have been on my map. But alas they weren't and I assumed that I was lost... But in my confusion I found a museum dedicated to the Declaration of Human Rights. The museum was free (awesome), and a totally interesting and educational experience on the history of chile between the 1970 and now. It is very sad some of the things that happened here during the reign of Pinochet.
When I was done with the unintended museum, I was intent on finding the ones I originally set out for. So I headed in the direction that I THOUGHT they would be in, and instead passed through a peaceful neighborhood and found a huge Cathedral that was esentially entirely dedicated to Santa Lourdes. It was a really pretty place, complete with natural spring water they used for baptisms. I waited around there for a bit hoping that a Mass would start, but no. Oh well. To make things a bit more complicated, this cathedral wasn't on my map, or I was beyond the boarder of the crappy map that I had. Although, I was pretty sure of where I was.
I knew that the museums I wanted to find were in a Central-Park-like-area and if I found that, I could get to the museums.At last, I found an entrance to the park! I was originally confused because it is surounded by a large wall, something that isnt too typical in the states. I was so happy that I found somehwere that I knew existed on my map, I decided to set out and find the museums. Asuming my map was correct, I should have walked right through one of the musems, but of course I didn't. Darn. When I finally came across a landmark from my map, I knew where I was and was able to find the musems I was looking for.
It turns out that I walked right past them earlier in my day, but I didn't recognize them as musems either becuase they are under construction and closed, or simply closed. So I traveled all that way only for my destinations to be closed. However, it actually turned out to be a really interesting adventure and a very memorable experience.

I really like Santiago, it is easy to get around and the people are quite helpful. I see myself coming back to explore more and use it as a base for future travels.

All is well! I met up with my group wednesday morning, but that is another blog...

No comments:

Post a Comment